Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Day 28

Scripture
“Come! Come! Flee from the land of the north,” declares the LORD, “for I have scattered you to the four winds of heaven,” declares the LORD.
“Come, O Zion! Escape, you who live in the Daughter of Babylon!” For this is what the LORD Almighty says: “After he has honored me and has sent me against the nations that have plundered you--for whoever touches you touches the apple of his eye--I will surely raise my hand against them so that their slaves will plunder them. Then you will know that the LORD Almighty has sent me.
“Shout and be glad, O Daughter of Zion. For I am coming, and I will live among you,” declares the LORD. “Many nations will be joined with the LORD in that day and will become my people. I will live among you and you will know that the LORD Almighty has sent me to you. The LORD will inherit Judah as his portion in the holy land and will again choose Jerusalem. Be still before the LORD, all mankind, because he has roused himself from his holy dwelling.”

Zechariah 2:6-13 (NIV)Prayer
V. Into thy hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit:
R. Into thy hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit.
V. For thou hast redeemed me, O Lord, thou God of truth:
R. I commend my spirit.
V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son: and to the Holy Ghost:
R. Into thy hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit.
V. Keep me, O Lord, as the apple of an eye:
R. Hide me under the shadow of thy wings.

“The Office of Compline,” Venite Adoremus I, World’s Student Christian Federation Prayer Book (1951, 2nd ed.)*

Reflection
“The necessity of believing the Holy Catholic Church appeareth first in this, that Christ hath appointed it as the only way unto eternal life. We read at the first, that the Lord added to the Church daily such as should be saved; and what was then daily done hath been done since continually. Christ never appointed two ways to Heaven, nor did he build a Church to save some, and make another institution for other men’s salvation.”

Bishop John Pearson (1612-1686)

No comments: